Autumns is already here but if you, like me, are still in summer mood and this change of season makes you only feel sad and out of energy, you need a comfort food that helps you to survive. Here’s the recipe.
I fell in love with this buffalo ricotta and we started talking about the Italian tradition to serve ricotta as a “dessert” (specially for children) mixed with a teaspoon of sugar and sprinkled with cinnamon or cocoa powder.
This ricotta is compact, moist, creamy and with a nice milky color. The taste is sweet, buttery, with typical buffalo milk flavor. Thanks to these characteristics doesn’t need to be filtered from serum, and it’s perfect if used as ingredient for a moist cake.
I ended up with this ricotta plumcake with cinnamon and a royal icing made with coffee.
This cake can be a nice treat for breakfast / tea time or the perfect ending of a dinner, served warmed up with a ball of cinnamon ice cream and an espresso.
Here’s the recipe:
Ricotta Plumcake with Cinnamon and Coffee
Ingredients (for 6/8 portions):
- 300g flour
- 250g ricotta (I used the buffalo ricotta from La Maremmana)
- 3 eggs
- 125g icing sugar
- 120g sugar
- 70g butter
- 20g espresso (or 20g water and 2 instant espresso coffee doses)
- 16g baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-8g cinnamon powder
- coffee beans as decorations
- beat the eggs with sugar till the mixture it’s fluffy and clear
- add the melted butter
- add the vanilla extract
- mix all together
- sift the ricotta and add it to the mixture, mix well
- in a bowl add the flour, the baking powder and the cinnamon, combine everything
- add the flour to the liquid mix
- preheat the oven at 180°C
- put the batter in a plumcake mold and cook it at 180°C for around 45 minutes
- when the cake is ready, leave it to cold completely
- meanwhile prepare the icing, mixing gradually the ice sugar with the espresso or the water and instant coffee till you have a dense mixture
- pour the icing on the top leave it to cover the cake, sprinkle 4/5 coffee beans to decorate and serve
It lasts for 2-3 days stored in the fridge.
Strada Provinciale del Poggiale, 72
Principina Terra – Grosseto
Phone +39 0564 1768089
Casa del Gusto
+31(0)20 330 8330